INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS REGARDING
Please check the government’s gov.uk website for the latest COVID-19 advice. You may need go online to NHS 111 for further advice before making or attending your appointment.
COVID-19: Our surgery plans and how this will affect you
If you have had any contact with the surgery over the last week or two, you are likely to have noticed a marked difference in the way things are being done. We have done this to minimise face to face contact between patients and staff, limit the spread of the Covid-19 virus and keep our practice team and patients as well as possible. The information below shows you how we plan to operate over the coming weeks:
Making an appointment
- Our GP practice has now moved to a total triage system. This means that all requests for appointments must be made via the phone 01264 337979.
- Each request will be passed to a doctor for assessment. You may find that we treat you by phone, by video link, or we may ask you to come to the surgery.
- Access to the surgery premises will only be if you have been asked to do so and there will be clear arrangements discussed with you as to how we can safely do this. Please do not come to the surgery unless you have been specifically asked to do so.
Attending your appointment
- If you need to have a face to face appointment, you may be asked to attend a location other than Charlton Hill.
- You may be asked to stay in your car, not to come into the surgery, to call the surgery to get further specific instructions.
- Whilst you may have to go to a different surgery building to the one you are used to and you might see a doctor or nurse who you are not familiar with, your records will still be accessible securely to you and to them.
- You will no longer be able to collect paperwork and prescriptions from the surgery.
- If you are able to, please continue to use Patient Access or the NHS App to order your repeat prescription. You do not need to come to the surgery to register to do this.
- If you cannot order your repeat prescription any other way, then you may deliver this through the outside surgery letter box – this can be done without accessing the reception.
How can you help?
- Please be patient – our phone lines are very busy.
- Do you have a condition that you can treat at home? If you do then please try to do this with advice from NHS online or your local pharmacist.
- Do you simply need general advice? If you do, can you call 111.
- If you think you may have Covid-19 DO NOT go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Use the NHS111 Online service to find out what to do next: 111.nhs.uk/covid-19
- If you feel you need to see a doctor for non-Covid-19 symptoms, then please call 01264 337979 and we will discuss your needs.
- Please help the receptionist by giving them as much information as possible and answer any questions they may have. This will help us prioritise calls and have the right clinician call you back.
We already have some staff shortages due to isolation and sickness and aim to continue to give you the best possible care at this difficult time. We appreciate your continued support.
The nursing team are only seeing patients who have an appointment for a dressing change, a smear test (cytology), child immunisations, or an injection (B12, prostap, etc). All other appointment types will be by telephone.
If you are on medication we ask that you do not order until at least ten days before it is due. If you order earlier, your request will be rejected. This is to protect the supply chain and to ensure that as may patients as possible requiring medication have access to it.
We thank you for your patience during this difficult time.
We would like to thank all our patients who have been bringing in PPE, cakes and anything else that could be useful to us. Also the following local companies: Idea Reality; The Hawk Conservancy; Preformed Line Products; The Travelling Cupcake; J & J Carter Sorry if I've missed anyone off!
To book (online booking has been suspended during the Covid-19 period) or cancel your appointment online, to order repeat medication or to view your coded medical record please click here
Please note you must register for this service before you can use it. To start your registration please click here Your request to register will be activated by us once we have verified that you are a current patient of the practice.
Before making an appointment please consider if it would be more appropriate to self help. The links below will take you to a significant amount of self help information on every medical condition
Welcome to Charlton Hill Surgery
Charlton Hill Surgery provides high quality healthcare to over 13,300 patients in the Andover area.
We are a practice of four male and five female doctors providing General Medical Services. The seven partners, Drs Briggs, Candy, Connolly, Hazard, Lear, Ventour and Wyatt, are in contract with NHS England. We have in excess of twenty five staff including Practice Business Manager, Adrian Wise, nursing staff, reception and office staff who are always happy to help with enquiries.
Our doctors, nurses and all our other staff are dedicated to offering a professional service and this surgery website will help us to keep all our patients up to date with news and information about our practice. We will keep it current with any developments or other details that we feel are relevant to you.
In addition, community nursing staff and district nurses, work with the practice and community midwives hold clinics at the practice on a regular basis. We encourage continuity of care with one doctor, but in the event of urgent requests, when your own doctor is not available, you may be asked to see another doctor.
The majority of activity that we receive through e-consult are medication requests which are more easily managed using our online services. See the information above to register for online services.
When we receive an e-consult, if it is of a clinical nature the document produced will be added to your medical record and the GP will address this within 2 working days. For sick note requests and requests asking for a particular GP please allow 5 working days. Sick notes can only be issued when they are due and can not be future dated.
Follow us on Twitter
(Site updated 21/05/2020)